In light of my recent decision to go on a NO-BUY for the first half of 2019, may I present to you my first skiplist for the year.
- Kylie Cosmetics has released 18 new blushes, bronzers and highlighters last month. Two years ago I may have jumped at them but now I know better. I’d rather buy pans of Colourpop’s pressed powder blush, bronzer and highlighter which are only $7. I mean c’mon CP has a highlighter palette for $18, the same price as Kylie’s new releases. Have you also seen her Valentine’s collection? Over it.
- I was initially impressed with Morphe‘s shade range for their new Fluidity Full-Coverage Foundation until I saw swatches of it online. There were gray tones and orange tones. I wasn’t the only one who thought of how off-putting those tones were. Also, I had never watched an entirely positive review of it, not even from YouTube beauty gurus who were sent PR packages. I’m also going to ignore their new concealers and powders.
- Fenty Beauty is coming in hot this year. They’re expanding their complexion range with some new concealers and setting powders. I want both but I recall their foundation never working for me — I got a sample of it 2 years ago. Now, the Pro Filt’r Instant Retouch Concealer I’m still debating because Jeffree Star and Tati approved of it but the Pro Filt’r Instant Retouch Setting Powder I can do without especially with the mixed reviews I’ve been seeing. After all my Coty Airspun has never let me down.
- I don’t know what Urban Decay was thinking when they came up with their Naked Reloaded Palette. First of all, it looks like they copied off of the ABH Sultry Palette. Second, I believe the OG Naked Palette still looks more beautiful. Yeah that’s the palette they discontinued, their very iconic, best-selling neutral palette that launched a thousand copycats in the beauty community. (Photo from @pumpuiiiii via MyFatPocket. Don’t mind the bad editing.)
- Next is the Colourpop Velvet Blur Lux Lipstick. That’s only $7 compared to the $19 pricetag of MAC’s Powder Kiss Lipsticks, which are what they’re supposed to be a dupe for. I was actually about to put a few shades in my wishlist when I learned how drying they are compared to MAC’s. So no, thank you.
- Last for this post is Too Faced Cosmetics who is collaborating with Erika Jayne for a Pretty Mess line. To be honest, I didn’t know who she was until I saw this at @trendmood1. Nothing is interesting for me. I might have gone for the eyeshadow palette at one point but the color-story has been done before. I think I have all those shades already. Plus, @makeupcrayz pointed out that the eyeshadow arrangements are too similar with the Dose of Color Hidden Treasure Palette.
I should probably do this every month. It feels refreshing to actually name new releases of items I won’t buy and rationalize why. What do you think?
Are there some new products you won’t be getting this year? let me know down below!
Don’t forget to follow me on: